Friday, February 15, 2008

Obedience school

E&A had a plan before they even met me, that they would take me with them to school so I could teach them the best way to communicate with me. We started out going twice a week to a Level One class. We learned sit and down, and I can do them both wherever they ask me to - in front of them or on either side. We played a lot of the name game, one of my favorites, because I get something yummy every time I hear my name and look at them! The only hard thing was that I REALLY want to go play with the other dogs. So sometimes I would watch them instead of paying attention to E&A. One time I even tried to run over and play with one little white fluff of a dog. I took off running while E was swapping the leash to his other hand. I got there, but A did a spectacular grab and pulled me away from my new friend. E&A were worried, but all the instructors said that there wasn't anything agressive about my behavior.

Just before the Christmas holiday, the instructors announced that everyone had passed Level 1! So there was one class of level 2 left before the break so we went and visited there. They had all sorts of interesting things set up and we tried and tried to walk along all the paths that they had set up. It was really hard to stay with E&A. But we survived!

Then after Christmas when classes finally started up again, E couldn't make it to the first class with me. So A and I went on our own that Tuesday. We had a good time and even had some walking around that we did. But I passed a little close to one of the other dogs so I barked a bit, but eventually calmed down. Then our last activity, one of the trainers held my leash and A went running away - oh sadness! But then A called to me and the trainer let me run to A - high speed chase yippee!

When Saturday rolled around, I was ready to go have fun at class again. E&A were both with me this time. We had our little corner that E seems to like, right there by the door to the "nap room". I decided to bark a lot that day. So much that we hung out in the naproom and didn't get to do much with the class. I would calm down a little bit, then we'd go back out to the class and then someone would look at me - woof wooof woof! Back in the nap room. Colleen came in to visit us and suggested that we start coming to the "Relaxing Rowdy Rovers" class, but I could still come to the levels class too.

RRR isn't until Thursday nights, so we went to one more Level 2 class on Tuesday. I was really excited!! We got there before the door was open so A took me for a little walk. I wanted to tell everyone how excited I was, so woof woof woof I told the world. Well A wasn't going to let me in until I had stopped barking, so we waited around the corner while all the other dogs went in. E went to get our nametage and talked to Robin. When he came out we got back in the car and left. Sad, I didn't get to go in and play. And since I was so vocal outside the trainers actually decided that I should only go to the Rowdy Rovers class.

So now I'm working on relaxing rowdy Roman!

R

No comments: